It’s been a VERY long time in the making, but our debut EP is finally ready. And yes, its taken this long to get our packaging sorted.
We thought it’d be a great idea to do something a little different for our EP packaging, as in not just the usual plastic jewel case. Back in my younger days I’d gone through a bit of an origami phase (of which I remember NOTHING now) and so the idea was floated of making our own folded cardboard cases. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Nothing could have been further from the truth…
We started off with high hopes. A trip to Officeworks got us 5 sheets of black cardboard, a box of blank printable CD’s, some glue and some photo paper- and something that I’d wanted for a very long time (ever since I saw the one we used to cut OPG films at Greenslopes), a paper guillotine. The goal was to make 50 EP’s, and ONLY 50. We figured since we’re only a little ol’ indie band we needed the novelty/ exclusivity factor to get by. Little did we know that even 50 was going to push us to the limit.
I started out by making a couple of prototypes out of a Sultana Bran box and they seemed to work out OK.
After much trial and error with the prototypes, we went through the very LONG process of cutting the good black cardboard into the right dimensions, which even with the paper guillotine took ages. Then it was a matter of measuring and marking very carefully the centre folds, scoring both edges of that with the back of a table knife so it’d fold right, cutting out the bit in the middle, cutting the slit for the CD to slide into, folding the front and back sections down and gluing each bit as you go with a small paintbrush, and then holding the whole thing down with an old radiography textbook and a dumbbell for 4 hours until it dried. Many, many hours were spent hunched over on the loungeroom floor to make this happen…
Once we had the big pile of 50 cases that we needed, it was a matter of printing out the front and back covers. We decided to go with a 50/50 split between an Al case, and an Olivia case (preference depending on whether you enjoy hot babes or hot beards better. My condolences if you end up with the latter). This was particularly painful- you’ve got no idea the amount of INK that printing out something like this on high-quality printer settings takes up. I think we went through about at least $75 worth of ink and had 3 or 4 trips to cartridge world to get refills. So once we had those printed out it was once again back to the lounge-room floor for a date with the stanley knife.
I tried using a glue-stick to put some front covers on instead of the liquid paper glue I’d been using before, which was great because it was super easy to apply. It wasn’t until I put a case in my car for a day that I realised my mistake- and everything literally came unstuck in the heat. So we decided to go with my 2nd favourite adhesive of all-time, Selley’s Kwick-Grip in a spray can. This was almost as easy to apply and meant that we didn’t get all the residue spilling over the sides making everything look sticky. The problem was that we could only stick 4 cases on at a time and then had to wait for a few hours before we could stick the next ones. This meant that this process took place over MANY days- all the while slowly driving me insane seeing this shit all over my loungeroom floor and staring at me saying “but there’s still so much to go…”
Printing the discs was a much more pleasant affair- even though I could only print one at a time (place disc in disc tray, place tray in printer, hit print, remove disc from disc tray- repeat process x 50) there was no extra labour required.
All in all- they turned out OK. They don’t sit perfectly flat when you lay them down and there’s a few glue spots around that snuck out but in the end- it’s the imperfections that let you know that they’ve been hand-made. And at least you know they were hand-made with love. We hope you enjoy the fruits of our long hours of labour.
(PS- for anyone that’s interested, if I manage to find the photo I took with the dimensions and instructions on how to fold the cases I’ll upload them).